The Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry is one of the UK’s top manufacturing exporters. The sector adds over £14 billion of value to the economy, on sales of £40 billion and is responsible for around half a million direct and indirect jobs.
We are trade intensive and, with 70% of operations headquartered from overseas, we compete with global production locations for mobile investment capital.
- Spends £4.4 billion each year on investment in buildings, vehicles and machinery
- Invests almost £5 billion each year on research and development
- Manufactures products and technologies that are delivering a green economy, including delivering twice the carbon saving for society compared to what we use
- Has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 70% over the past 20 years
- Employs 140,000 people directly and supports a total of 500,000 indirect jobs
- Has a large number of jobs in the north of England and Scotland
- Pays employees 30% more than the average manufacturing worker
- Improved its productivity by 10% between 2008 and 2014
- Is highly regulated, achieving consistent compliance across the board
But that's only part of the story...
Related resources (updates to some of the below are available to members):