The Imperial War Museum North
The IWM North building is hard to miss – the aluminium-clad building with jutting angles has become an iconic part of the Manchester skyline since it was built in 2002.
8 things you didn't know about the Imperial War Museum North
1. It is built on a bombsite
2. It is the first building in the UK by Daniel Libeskind
3. It represents a shattered globe
4. A teapot was involved in the design
5. It is purposely disorientating
6. The airshard is neither an outside nor an indoor space
7. The floor of the main exhibition hall slopes by 8 feet
8. The watershard gives a nod to the area's shipping past
Host - Alexis Conran
Originally an advisor on the drama series Hustle, Alexis Conran has more recently exercised his talents on BBC Three’s Real Hustle. His task is to hoodwink unsuspecting victims, demonstrating the various tricks and traps along the way.
A trained actor and magician (and the son of a convicted con-man), Alexis was arguably half way to becoming the perfect scam artist. Fortunately his own conscience led him away from the family business. He explains that any grifter must have charm and the ability to blend in and out, but most importantly possess a heart of stone.
As well as the Hustle shows, Alexis has made appearances on Hustling America and Discovery’s Man v Expert. He has helped BBC One’s Watchdog keep the public up-to-date with the latest scams - and how to avoid them. As an actor he’s appeared in Waking the Dead, Wire in the Blood, and The Durrells. He’s also hosted his own TalkRADIO show, The Radio Hustle, and is a Celebrity MasterChef champion. He also attempted to persuade his tech-sceptic friend Marcus Brigstocke of the virtues of gadgets on The Joy of Techs.