The Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industry is one of the UK’s top manufacturing exporters. The sector adds over £14 billion of value to the economy, on sales of £40 billion and is responsible for around half a million direct and indirect jobs.
We are trade intensive and, with 70% of operations headquartered from overseas, we compete with global production locations for mobile investment capital.
- Spends £4.4 billion each year on investment in buildings, vehicles and machinery
- Invests almost £5 billion each year on research and development
- Manufactures products and technologies that are delivering a green economy, including delivering twice the carbon saving for society compared to what we use
- Has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 70% over the past 20 years
- Employs 140,000 people directly and supports a total of 500,000 indirect jobs
- Has a large number of jobs in the north of England and Scotland
- Pays employees 30% more than the average manufacturing worker
- Improved its productivity by 10% between 2008 and 2014
But that's only part of the story...
Figures correct as at February 2017
CIA's Vision of Sustainability
Our vision builds on CIA’s 2004 and 2010 Sustainable Development programmes and outlines how we and our members will contribute towards building a more sustainable future.
Related external resources:
Related CIA resources (updates to the below are available to members):